Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nabokov

According to Nabokov, a good reader possesses the following characteristics; imagination, the ability to memorize, an artistic sense and a dictionary. Additionally, he comments on the necessity for a good reader to have a balanced combination of an artistic and scientific temperament. More specifically, Nabokov states that a reader should have an impersonal imagination and artistic delight not a personal identification with his reading material.  I believe that Nabokov's views are relevant, however, I think he is a work of art himself represented by the time and place of his development. Nabokov states that the pure mechanics of reading stand in the way of our ability to absorb the creativity in its most absolute form. He states that rereading is not only necessary, but required to see a story as a piece of art. his comments are a welcoming point of view to me. Finally, I agree with Nabokov that any preconceived notions before indulging in a story is a disservice to the author and reader alike. He states that a read should be something brand new and a world unknown.
I concur with Nabokov that a good reader should have the aforementioned qualities. I would only add that a desire or a motivation to inquire is also revenant. Without motivation, reading is a chore that becomes a barrier to all that Nabokov portraits.
I do not consider myself to be a good reader. I have always struggled to maintain adequate attention. I am easily distracted by an influx of thoughts. I have always possessed a strong desire to obtain information from reading, but I am good at not bringing reads to conclusion. 

2 comments:

  1. Marco,
    I love that you mentioned rereading in your post. I left that out, and I'm not sure why. I have found that, when I don't understand something as well as I think I should, I reread the line, paragraph, or page, and it does a world of difference. Nabokov also compared reading a novel to viewing a painting. When looking at a painting, the viewer steps back and looks at the "big picture". I think most readers overlook this step, and in turn, take away from the story.
    I also agree that having any preconceived notions before reading a novel can absolutely destroy the story. "Don't judge a book by its cover" rings very true. Some of the worst books I've read, have been some of the most popular on the current market. The opposite occurs as well, so I think that is a very key point in beginning a book.
    Thanks for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marco! I choose your response to comment to because it felt like you took the reading and took it to show that there really is more than one way to read and understand as a good reader. There are many different ways to read items, as well as there are many different resources out there to help the reader to become a better reader and be more in depth with what they are reading. Great job!

    ReplyDelete